You know, sometimes I get bored telling stories, so today I’m doing something different. I love Fun Facts and decided that you should too, so I’ve compiled a list of Fun Facts to educate and entertain you….
IMPORTANT FUN FACT:
Laughing lowers levels of stress hormones and strengthens the immune system. Six-year-olds laugh an average of 300 times a day. Adults, on average only laugh 15 times a day. (maybe that’s because 6 year olds don’t have to deal with taxes.)
DEATH FUN FACTS:
2. Every day 200 million couples make love, 400,000 babies are born, and 140,000 people die ( I think we need more people having sex, less people having babies, and more people dying, but I want to pick the people that die.)
3. Sky burial is a funerary practice in Tibet where a human corpse is placed on a mountain top and left for predatory birds to eat. This is because Buddhism believes in rebirth so there’s no need to preserve the body, as it’s seen as an empty vessel. Sky burials are simply a way of allowing nature to dispose of the body. (way to go “green” Tibet!)
4. In 19th-century Europe so many living people were declared dead by mistake that they had to start laying out the alleged-to-be-dead people in special “hospitals for the dead” to await signs of putrefaction, just to be sure they were really dead. (I have no words to describe the smell I am trying to imagine.)
5. No American has officially died of ‘old age’ since 1951, when the government eliminated that classification on death certificates. (my grandmother lived to be 100 and I don’t know what the “official” cause of death was but in my opinion, if you lived to be 100, you died of old age…and exhaustion and boredom!)
6. The rate of decomposition is four times faster in the water than on land.
8. There are around 200 corpses on Mount Everest
9. No one knows where Mozart is buried
10. The Final Touch is a company that offers makeup products that were created especially for funeral directors by a special effects makeup artist in the film industry
HOLLYWOOD FUN FACTS:
1. The lion that roars in the MGM logo is named Volney.
2. It cost 7 million dollars to build the Titanic and 200 million to make a film about it.
3. The sign read HOLLYWOODLAND from 1923 to 1949.
4. In January 1976, following the passage of a state law decriminalizing marijuana, vandals altered the sign to read ” HOLLYWEED.”
5. In 1932, Broadway actress Peg Entwistle committed suicide by jumping off the letter “H.”
6. The first movie to show a woman wearing nothing but bra is “Psycho.”.
7. The oldest restaurant in Hollywood is “Musso and Frank Grill” on Hollywood Boulevard (I personally think it kinda sucks and is over-priced. They charged me for extra salad dressing once)
8. Originally, the term “movies” did not mean films, but the people who made them.
9. In The Godfather, John Marley’s (Jack Wolz) scream of horror in the horse head scene was real, as he was not told that a real horse head, which was obtained from a dog food company, was going to be used.
10. The shark in the movie “Jaws” was named Bruce after Steven Spielberg’s attorney. So many things went wrong on the set that the crew started to refer to it as “Flaws.” It was also the first movie to gross over $100 million.
BONUS FUN FACTS:
1. Bats always turn left when exiting a cave.
2. George Washington and Thomas Jefferson grew marijuana on their plantations!
3. The reason honey is so easy to digest is that it’s already been digested by a bee
4. ‘Sobrino de Botin’ is the oldest restaurant in the world and is located in Madrid, Spain.
5. None of the Beatles knew how to read music. (Paul McCartney eventually taught himself.)
6. Pork is the most consumed meat worldwide, which is understandable, once you’ve eaten bacon.
People obviously don’t like saying the words die or dead, as there are over 200 euphemisms about death. Here are some of my top picks:
Checking Out The Grass From Underneath
He Just Got Stamped “Return To Sender”
Kicked The Oxygen Habit
Paying A Debt To Nature
Winning One For The Reaper
And my TOP top pick is:
Decided That Hell’s Got A Better HR Policy Than The Office.
Have a fun-filled day! 🙂