Say No To (prescription) Drugs!

I think we all know by now that I support recreational drug use provided you’re a responsible adult and you don’t take anything that you can get addicted to, such as marijuana. I think everyone also knows by now that pot is not dangerous because the effects basically make you laugh, hungry and tired. Does that seem dangerous to you? However, alcohol on the other hand, can have some ugly consequences. After all, who hasn’t thrown up on Hollywood Boulevard at least once…or some other boulevard? Ecstasy on the other hand, isn’t addictive and I already told you my brilliant plan to drug the Middle East with it and calm those angry people down.

But prescription drugs are another thing altogether. Everyone has seen the endless commercials pushing drug after drug with the horrid side effects that sound worse than the ailment the drug is for. Sure, you might be bleeding out of your ass, but at least your Fibromyalgia isn’t flaring up today!  I’m currently reading a book called Confessions of an RX Drug Pusher by Gwen Olsen. She worked in the pharmaceutical industry for 15 years selling drugs, and the information about some of these drugs is staggering. I highly recommend it. The book that is, not the drugs.

My mom also forwarded me an article yesterday about how the number of babies born addicted to pain killers has tripled in the last ten years. Can someone explain to me why doctors are handing out prescription medication like candy?  (here is the article if you’re interested: http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/story/2012-04-29/durg-addicted-painkller-babies/54646654/1)

If the government, pharmaceutical industry and doctors are all making money off the country’s drug addiction, and we know they are, could it be they have us right where they want us? If we’re in so much pain and so depressed, how the hell is anything going to get better, and if we’re all addicted to highly dangerous drugs, how could we possibly change anything? How many productive drug addicts do you know?

Of course, our taxes are paying for the care of these babies and their drug addicted mothers, and who takes our taxes? We all know the answer to that.

I understand that human beings will always want to change their state of consciousness because life sucks sometimes, hence the need and love of drugs and alcohol, but are we so miserable and unhappy with our lives that so many of us have become addicted to pain killers and anti-depressants? Not to mention that now these drugs are so easy to get, thanks to the doctors, and people are mixing the medications and dying. Just ask Heath Ledger or Whitney Houston.

Oh, oops, you can’t ask them, they’re dead.

I know that there are benefits that can come from taking some of these drugs for brief periods. I’ve taken vicodin and I loved how it took my pain away, so I can see how people could get addicted to the feeling, but isn’t anyone concerned with what these drugs do to your central nervous system? It’s bad news people, especially after you take them for awhile.

It’s something to think about. These drugs are not the innocent mother’s little helper of the 70s, We have a prescription drug epidemic, my friends, and it ain’t pretty. I also believe now more than ever that the drugs my dad took for his varied ailments after he retired played a huge part in his death. It started with an anti-depressant and snowballed into a whole bunch of other drugs until he was addicted, and over time, the drugs destroyed his body.

Oops, didn’t mean to get all dark on you, but I’m being honest. I think we are way too willing to pop a pill in lieu of figuring out the real cause of our problems. God forbid, we actually feel some pain and misery….or feel at all.

I could go on and on about the dangers of prescription drugs but I really have to get back to judging people on Facebook.

Just a thought; put down the pills, eat healthy food, exercise, get some therapy and smoke a joint….and have a great day! 😛

But watch this first:

My name is Celeste Donohue and I am a writer/comedian who started this blog to tell stories about my life growing up in a funeral home and my adult life which I have spent in Hollywood, California – hence the name, “Death To Hollywood”. Hopefully, you like to read those kinds of stories. If not, go read something serious and boring.....
This entry was posted in celebrities, death, funerals, Hollywood, weird and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Say No To (prescription) Drugs!

1. barskii says:

I WAS NEVER SICK UNTIL I WENT TO A DOCTOR !!!
    It is called Side effect therapy – They give you a drug for which they decide you need for what ever mood they are in that day – $$$$$ – so you go fill it at the LEGAL DRUG OUTLET – then you have five side effects and go back and say Doctor – Doctor I am having problems since I took that DRUG ! $$$$$$$
    So he listens to your side EFFECTS TALKING $$$$$$$ , Then “PRE SCRIBES” more scrpits for you to enjoy the new misery in which YOU SUFFER and ask for HELP – – Until body FAILURES & SURGERIES and of Couse the Ultimate out come “” DEATH “”” –
    Then I ask YOU and Everyone?
    HOW MANY DOCTORS DO YOU SEE AT FUNERALS????
    DON’T ASK – THEY JUST GET ANOTHER – SIDE EFFECT THERAPY TEST PERSON $$$$$$$$

I agree with you almost 100%. 🙂 Most prescription meds are terrible and I tell my doctors I don’t even want anything created in the last 15-20 years. Weed is good for pain but I have to admit I miss the #1 Tylenols I was getting in Canada. Only 8 mg. codeine. To my mind, the Tylenol is more of a problem than the codeine, but one of those at night took care of the pain just enough for a decent nights sleep. But just try to get a little codeine here. Just asking for it makes me feel like a slavering addict seeing the look on the doctor’s face.

I just hope there will be places to get the damn medical marijuana for people who need it but may not have another connection. The way things are going, I am not so sure about that, but if all these creeps care about is money, they could make a fortune selling weed! So, why not? Then everyone would be happy. 😉

• Wow, codeine is old school 🙂 I took that way back when I had my wisdom teeth pulled out. And you’re so right about the medical marijuana and its potential for helping people and the financial benefits could be amazing. But…they’d rather give us stuff that will kill us, and make THOSE drugs legal!

3. Cissie donohue alias Mom says:

Celeste,I am so proud of you for using your blog to inform your readers about this terrifying epidemic,You may evensave a life by saying it.People are being so brainwashed by the drug companies and doctors by not questioning themselves and,maybe finding out that sad and happy areflip sides of the same coin.You can’t have onewithout the other.That’s how we know we are alive.Love,Mom

4. Maddie says:

Here’s some stats I learned from Gwen Olsen: The USA is 5% of the world population, and the USA takes 75% of the world’s prescription drugs. Now that’s sick! And sad. I say legalize marijuana so it can be used for pain management, among other things. And mandate insurance companies to cover alternative therapies like raike (sp?), chiropractic tx, massage therapy, etc.
    Celeste, glad you blogged about this issue!

• Maddie, thanks for the extra info. It’s crazy that this country is so doped up and insurance companies will pay for drugs but not acupuncture or massages. I’ll take a massage over a pill any day.

I do agree with the “feeling the pain” part of living that some people can’t deal with, so they turn to alcohol, drugs and now prescription pills…….there is a time and place for meds of sorts…..however, awareness of your feelings (happy and sad) and awareness of your physical being are the keys to staying away from taking pills for a prolonged period of time, in my opinion…….

6. barskii says:

Any perscribed drug in most cases should not be taken more than Two weeks..????
    Has anyone read about Statin drugs for Chlorestal control = memory loss, weight gain, hair loss, diabetes, and that is only four of the side effects – I will send Celeste the warnings on it.

Nice work Cee!!! I agree with Nan, don’t take any medication and don’t go to doctors!! Unless you need knee surgery!!! Prescription drugs killed Dad, maybe not rite away but that’s what killed the man! They killed his spirit and strength and then slowly killed his physical body!! I hope our friends and family who are on them realize how dangerous they are and learn to deal with life in a more natural way!!!!