Good morning players! So far it looks like “Best Director” is a toss up. We have a few votes for Spielberg, a few for David O’Russell and one for Ang Lee, so I guess those other two can forget it. In the “Best Actress” category, we have a few for Jessica Chastain, a few for Jennifer Lawrence and one for Quvenzhané Wallis from Beats of the Southern Wild, and I’ll have to wait until Sunday to hear how to pronounce her name. Meanwhile, I guess Naomi Watts and the French lady can just stay home if they want. 😀
Also, one of the contestants, Kal, was the first one to guess the answer to question 2 from yesterday’s blog.
2. What do actress Jessica Chastain, a former Oscar winner for Best Actress, and a Stephen King character have in common?
The answer is that former Oscar winner, Kathy Bates played Annie Wilkes who loved the book character “Misery” in the movie, “Misery” and Misery’s last name in the book was Chastain, just like Jessica Chastain, a current nominee for Best Actress, get it? Go Kal!
Today’s category is for “Best Actor” and I probably shouldn’t even bother asking who your prediction is for the winner because we already know Daniel Day Lewis is going to win. I saw Lincoln and he was excellent as always. The others don’t stand a chance and they know it, we all know it. I saw Bradley Cooper in Silver Linings Playbook and Denzel Washington in Flight, and they were both good but just not good enough. Sorry guys, maybe next time. I didn’t see Hugh Jackman in Les Miserable because I fell asleep during the stage play, so I figured why go see a movie in a theater based on a stage play that put me to sleep when I can rent it on DVD and fall asleep in my bed? And Joaquin Phoenix is nominated for The Master. Did anyone even see that movie?
1. Who is your Oscar prediction for Best Actor?
(Bradley Cooper – Silver Linings Playbook, Daniel Day-Lewis – Lincoln, Hugh Jackman –Les Misérables, Denzel Washington –Flight, Joaquin Phoenix -The Master)
2. Hugh Jackman’s wife said the gay rumors about him bother her. If you saw Hugh Jackman making out with a guy in an alley, would you encourage him to come out of the closet, or would you tell him to join Scientology?
Bonus question (because we all know the answer to question #1 ):
3. Parts of Silver Lining Playbook were shot in the neighborhood I grew up in, including the LLanerch Diner where Jennifer Lawrence freaks out on Bradley Cooper, and where I’ve eaten with my drunk friends. What is it about diners that drunk people love so much?
Each day there will be two Oscar-related questions. Post your answers in the comment section. Each comment is an entry into the giveaway. At the end of the week a winner will be chosen at random. The contest will conclude on Saturday 2/23. You get extra entries for posting Death to Hollywood on Facebook or Twitter, and “liking” the Death to Hollywood page on Facebook.
1. You have to be at least 18 years old to enter (that’s for legal reasons)
2. You have to live in the United States because I don’t ship internationally, sorry.
3. You have to answer two Oscar related questions as a comment on the blog.
4. It doesn’t matter if you’ve seen any of the nominated movies.
5. No purchase necessary (not that there’s anything to buy… legally I have to say it)
Comment to win and have a winning day!!