It’s Friday! So I think it’s safe to assume we’re all happy about that, and we’re getting closer to having a winner to this contest, and the Oscars are in two days. What’s not to be excited about? You know, every year I get excited to watch the Oscars and every year I say the same thing after the show, “That was kind of boring.”
But boring or not, a billion people will be watching. That’s why all the celebrities have to shoot botox into their arm pits to keep from sweating…did you know they do that? Maybe not all of them, but definitely some of them (the excessively sweaty ones). And you thought they just shot in their faces, right? Someone told me that botox was originally used for migraines, but then they noticed this great side effect that paralyzes the muscles in your face and smooths out wrinkles! Muscle paralysis? Scary! No wrinkles? Yay! I don’t get migraines and I don’t sweat excessively, so if I ever get botox it will be for my frown line that I’ve developed from being aggravated all the time. I work with a couple people who’ve had botox injections at lunch. Talk about an LA stereotype! Personally, I’d rather stuff a sandwich in my mouth during my lunch break than have a needle stuck in my face. But that’s me.
Today is the big category, “Best Picture.” Nine movies are nominated and I don’t really get this number. It used to be five, then they changed it to ten, and I know they struggle to think of ten good movies a year, but now nine? Weird.
Anyway, I’ve seen four of the nine movies that are nominated and I’ll say that I want Argo to win. Out of the four I’ve seen, this one kept me the most engaged. It was suspenseful, the writing was good, and I thought Ben Affleck did a great job directing, but I guess Hollywood thought otherwise. Sorry Ben. I liked Lincoln, but it did drag a bit at certain parts. I think I spaced out a couple of times. You know, when you’re staring at the screen but thinking about something else. It happens to me constantly during sports games. Django Unchained was good, but I didn’t love it and I really liked Silver Linings Playbook but I still liked Argo better. I like movies that are based on true stories and I love suspense, so that is more fun for me to watch. Therefore, I cast my vote for Argo.
1. What is your Oscar prediction for “Best Picture”?
3. Silver Linings Playbook
4. Life of Pi
5. Zero Dark Thirty
6. Les Miserables
7. Django Unchained
8. Beasts of the Southern Wild
2. Have you seen any of the nominated movies? If so, what ones?
3. If you were to win an Oscar for anything; acting, directing, writing, sound editing, costumes, cinematography, makeup, music etc., and had to give a speech, would you hold it together or would you become a wreck to the point of needing to be slapped?
Watch this…it is funny on so many levels. Everything from Renee Zellwegger’s and Nicole Kidman’s feigned happiness to the absolute hysterics of Halle Berry.
Each day there will be two Oscar-related questions. Post your answers in the comment section. Each comment is an entry into the giveaway. At the end of the week a winner will be chosen at random. The contest will conclude on Saturday 2/23. You get extra entries for posting Death to Hollywood on Facebook or Twitter, and “liking” the Death to Hollywood page on Facebook.
1. You have to be at least 18 years old to enter (that’s for legal reasons)
2. You have to live in the United States because I don’t ship internationally, sorry.
3. You have to answer two Oscar related questions as a comment on the blog.
4. It doesn’t matter if you’ve seen any of the nominated movies.
5. No purchase necessary (not that there’s anything to buy… legally I have to say it)
Comment to win and have a great Friday!!